Integrating ethics into an audit and anti-fraud program: experience of the Laval’s Office of Integrity and Ethics – This Session will be delivered in French
Objectives of the presentation:
Provide an overview of the context of fraud at the municipal level.
Introduce the Laval’s Office of Integrity and Ethics.
Highlight the role of ethics in an internal audit approach to fight fraud.
The presentation will be divided into three main objectives :
Part I: Recent context of fraud at the municipal level
• Municipal operations and activities most at risk of fraud.
• The Charbonneau Commission in Montreal.
• Former mayors and administrations of the City of Laval (before 2014).
Part II: Introduction of the LOIE (Laval’s Office of Integrity and Ethics):
• Background of the creation
• Organizational structure
• Key achievements
Part III: Role of a compliance audit and ethic structure in the fight against fraud
• Links between ethics, compliance and audit.
• Anti-fraud tools and mechanisms of an awareness program and implementation of an organizational ethic.
• Key elements of success.
• Key issues.